Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Secret Confessions of a GM-in-Training

If you read my maiden blog post, then you should know that I am a Junior GM for MilMo and that I consider it to be such a wonderful honor to be considered for such a responsibility.  
Level, GM Badge, &  Membership  Icons

My first day with my GM Badge I was positive no one would notice, and I certainly was not going to run around shouting, "hey, look at me, and how cool this is!"  But I need not have worried, because almost immediately I was questioned about that shield above my head.  Some players wondered what it meant, but most who noticed (and that was just about everyone) knew exactly what it meant and responded with congratulations and a few expressions of surprise.  On the heels those initial exchanges came the questions...and so far, nearly 3 weeks into my "training" the questions have not ended.  Thank goodness none of those questions have been, "why in the world would they pick you?", rather they mostly are about "how do you become a GM?"  I consulted my partner-in-crime and mentor, one of the dazzling members of the Panda-Eyed Girls Club, the amazing Sobe about how to respond to these questions, and out of her store of infinite wisdom she pulled out the suggestion that maybe I should blog about it...she is tricky that way! <HUGS>*

Now our delightful Sara has posted a general outline on the qualifications that might get a player considered to be a GM.  I have had players who told me that they have read the post, but want to know how yours truly got the chance to be a GM.  Basically I repeat what Sara has written and do not add much more, because I am still a bit bewildered that I was even in the running for consideration (but truly, truly excited that I was). I was asked if I would consider trying my hand at being a GM, and it was not as if I had filled out an application and was told I met qualifications #1-17.  I hate to be disingenuous, but my answer is I really do not know...yet, I may have some ideas.  

Alia's mind does wander and she thinks too much about everything.  And in my responses to these questions, alternate answers have popped into my head that I have not yet shared...until now when my faithful readers (all 3 of you, wait 4, I forgot Snipper but don't tell him I almost forgot him!) get a sneak peak into my secret diary.  

Since day one of playing MilMo I have faithfully followed the forum.  Not only do I read the new posts, but I rummage frequently in the Graveyard.  But what I read first, and still refer to regularly, are the rules of the forum and the game.  I am a by-the-book kind of gal and those rules have always guided me in my play.  What that means dear friends, is that not only do I not violate the rules or the terms of use, but I always play according the values and spirit  of the game which is to have a fabulous experience in a safe, fun environment, while contributing as a player to improving the game.  In case that sounds a little too vague for you, then let me share a few of my guiding principles that influence my play:
  • Respect:  I never have insulted another player via chat or private messages regarding their game-play.  This does not mean that I have had some choice thoughts seasoned with salty language about some player behavior, but I never commit those thoughts in any written format, be it game or forum.  (I am human after all, not some paragon of virtue)
  • Sharing:  If I am working on a medal and if another player asks if they can step in because they need the kills for a quest, I always give them the field and stop killing until they have finished.  And if they do not ask, but have their avatar standing next to where I am playing, I stop a moment and ask if they need to jump in.  (P.S.  I also have never, ever worked on kills by standing in fixed position and mindlessly clicked away)
  • Being Helpful, Part I:  I always help new players when they ask me a question, for information, or if I can help them achieve something.  I do not tease them or belittle them because they do not yet know how to proceed.  And if I am unable to help someone, I refer them to someone or some place where that help can be found.
  • Being Helpful, Part Deux:  If there is a technical problem, or I personally view a player who is violating the rules...I let support know about it.  I do not inundate support with emails complaining about something that is not working right or complain about players for frivolous reasons, I simply contact them when the situation warrants the need for communication, with supporting documentation.
  • Being Helpful, Third Verse:  I contribute to the forum, especially on posts where players are asking for help.  Even if I can not answer the question or solve the problem, it is good to connect with new or established players so that they know we have an active, interested community.  And as we are all playing at different times of the day and the week, we can help remind players that their problems WILL be addressed by Junebud, but at that moment they may not be able because it is nighttime in Sweden or it is the weekend.
  • Contributor Instead of Spammer:  In the forum it is my impression that some might interpret the "being active in the forum" means posting and responding without any real contribution, just posting for the sake of posting.  Although I would never presume what the developers look for in this qualification, but my interpretation is quality and expressed involvement rather than just sheer posting quantity to "prove" you are being active.  Every post does not necessarily need an emoticon.
  • Staying Positive:  I never belittle the game or the company who designs it in any arena.  I love this game for a reason, and badmouthing anything or anyone connected to game development does not make Junebud look bad, it makes you look bad.
Really, there is much more that influences my relationship with MilMo, but that could take days to get into it all.  Now whether any or all of these principles influenced the developers to take me under consideration, I may never know.  Regardless, it is how I have always played and contributed to the game, and how I always will.  

*Rounding out club membership is myself and the fabulous, fabulous Vanny.  Without these two amazing women my "training" might have been a much different experience.  Without the addition of too much sugar, you all have to know that these are two incredible women.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gooodness..... to have such a HUGE mention..... i am not sure that i deserve it...... But you have really done well in telling everyone about what constitute good behavior in and out of Forum and Game. A well written post. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the post preview. I was like, "Oh this seems interesting" so I clicked the "More" option. Out of nowhere all these words appeared. My eyes said, "OMG SO MANY WORDS". Luckily I love reading. I read the whole thing. I decided to use the bathroom,(which has nothing to do with this comment). Then I wrote this comment. To sum it up...I will repeat what Sobe said. This is "A well written post. =D" (dang, you can write!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, lured you in with the title did I? Yes, I write a lot...sorry for that! I have a very hard time saying what I want to say in just a few words...just like this reply!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alianore,

      I loved your post about the GM in training. I'm a GM in training from Milmo BR, and your post helped me enough to clarify some things. I hope we have luck on our way!

      Delete
    2. Congrats to you Willdoug!!! I am so happy for you, and welcome to the newbie GM circle. Hopefully we can learn together! I am glad you enjoyed my post, and maybe you would like to submit a little something about your new experiences or your love of the game and I will post it here! All the best, and I look forward to seeing you with your badge in the game.

      Delete